Sunday, November 29, 2009

Offense - Thanks

I haven't posted anything in a week or so, so I think its time to empty out the old bean again. A friend of mine did a post about the 75 random things she is thankful for, and that got me thinking "Shit, IS there 75 things I am thankful for?" I don't know that I'll hit 75, but there really is a fuck-ton of things, especially this year, for me to appreciate. So, here it goes, in no particular order...

1. Finally having the strength to end my poisonous marriage. This gets to be the number 1 item, as it stands as the crux of most of the other things on this list. I've said some rotten shit on here out of anger, but it comes down to the same thing: It is truly better for all parties involved that her and I not co-exist any longer.

2. Harley. Harley the basset hound is my fucking DUDE. Yeah, he pisses on the carpet, shits on my porch, and I'm slightly allergic to him... BUT, when my oldest boy puked down the side of my bed, Harley was on the job, licking that shit right up! That's love right there... If I could find a woman that would do that... OK, that'd be fucking disgusting, so I'll leave that thought there, but it is fucking cool of the dog to help out.

3. Work. I've got a job that I don't hate going to, and it pays reasonably well for what amounts to unskilled labor.

4. Friends. I have easily 3 times as many friends this year then I had last year. People who genuinely care about me, and people that I am finally allowed to care for... That's just not enough to say about how much I care about my friends, so I'm going to break this one down further

5. Work Friends. Lori, Angie, Angel, Toni, Lisa, Chuck, Oscar... Lunch buddies, to walking buddies, to party buddies, to concert buddies... I've never... NEVER... had close friends from work. Now I have LOTS. I'll even have to mention Murphy, Sue, Laura, Emily, Dupakoski... If I've forgotten anyone, I'm sure I'll hear about it at work Monday. Either way, I love that place...

6. School Friends. Lee, Tim, Marie... and Angela. Angela gets the honorable mention, as we don't really talk anymore, but it was her that I went through almost every class with, and her strength that I borrowed to get through it all. Thanks, Ang! I sincerely hope you find what you are looking for out in California...

7. Old Friends. Jar and Jason. The only two friends I still have from high school... I was there for them during their divorces, and they have been there for me for mine. Jason always tells me when I'm being a stupid bastard. Jar always laughs. Thanks, fellas...

8. New Friends. Ray and Carol, Tia... and Tori. Ray and Carol are my new neighbors... Ray is this REALLY OLD veteran who tells the most awful nigger jokes, while his wife just rolls her eyes. Tia gets a mention only because she is probably the most active Facebook friend, who also doesn't play any of the FB games. Always got something to say, love talking to her. And Tori. Tori is the female version of myself, whom I met on Craigslist, of all places. We are going through the same things right now, and it is a huge comfort to have someone to talk to about it.

9. Un-related relatives. Shaun, Big, Little, and Porky. Shaun is my ex-brother-in-law, and was really my only friend for years during the marriage. Big, Little and Porky are my ex-wife's Uncle, Cousin, and Aunt... and they don't give a fuck if we are getting a divorce or not, they all like me and invite me over all the time, which is nice to still have some normalcy in all of this.

10. Not being gay. I look through the list of friends and see that about 75% are women. Doesn't that make me a gay man? Or does it make me a pimp? Women are AWESOME because you can TALK to them about stuff. Guys are great because you don't HAVE to talk to them about stuff... But, women win because of the vagina's. Sorry, guys! You just cannot trump that card...

11. Health. I'm generally a pretty sickly guy... get sniffles or cold or sore throat about 4 times a year... except this year. I have been in my apartment since June, and haven't had a drip of snot yet. Hangovers, on the other hand...

12. Family. Mom, Dad, Kids, Brothers, Cousins... all love me in different, necessary ways. My official family is pretty large, but to me, very distant. Mom has always been there, always the same. Richard is in NC, and his role has always been to punch me, one way or the other. Dad and I historically haven't had much of a relationship, good or bad, until the last few years. We get along great now, and its like having a new buddy to hang out with, rather than a 'Father' who must be respected and bowed to. My kids are nuts, but I think they rather like me. Maren is one of many cousins, but the ONLY extended family member that I have a relationship with, and she is the first English teacher in my growing collection. She also has a way of punching me when I'm being stupid. I have 3 younger half-brothers, who are all great boys (young men, now) but I didn't grow up with them, so its hard to have a real 'brother' bond.

13. Music. Goddamn I love music.

14. Freedom. I am finally able to make decisions for myself. I don't have the least fucking clue about what I'm doing in life, but that's OK! Turns out, I have a pretty good success rate on my ventures when I just think about the problem, and propose a solution. Many times it is not the solution people expected, but that is also OK. I do SOOO much better in life when I do NOT try to please other people with what I do. Just doing things, and not worrying about the conventions, is working out pretty well, if I may say so. OK, so I'll never get promoted at work because of it, Fuck them!! I also like the fact that, while I was invited to 3 Thanksgiving tables this past week, I had the freedom to choose to not go to any of them. As it turns out, I had a great Thanksgiving as well!

I think that about raps it up... no where near 75, but its all good. I'm pretty lucky, and I'm pretty happy right now... what more can anyone really ask for out of life? And, since I don't have any anger in this post, I'll end it with some lines from an Insane Clown Posse song, called 'Fuck the World'...

Fuck you, fuck me, fuck us
Fuck Tom, fuck Mary, fuck Gus
Fuck Darius
Fuck the west coast, and fuck everybody on the east
Eat shit and die, or fuck off at least
Fuck pre-schoolers, fuck rulers
Kings and Queens and gold jewelers
Fuck wine coolers
Fuck chickens, fuck ducks
Everybody in your crew sucks, punk mother fucks
Fuck critics, fuck your review
Even if you like me, fuck you
Fuck your mom, fuck your mom's momma
Fuck the Beastie Boys and the Dali Llama


Yeah...

The Angry Man

1 comment:

  1. Didn't that feel good? Now, when you're having a bad day and I'm being elusive, you can read back over this post and think,"well, FUCK, things aren't ALL that bad..."
    Also, #15 should have been the word "fuck", since you use it constantly. ;)

    ReplyDelete