Thursday, November 12, 2009

Offense - Music

I feel like writing tonight, but no one has pissed me off in a few days. What does an angry brother write about then?

I've been listening to a SHITLOAD of different music lately. How, you may ask, does music fit into a blog titled 'Offense'? Fuck if I know... But, I do know that my music O-fends people. Brittany Spears O-fends me. Her personal life sucks, how can i respect her artistically? Same with Michael Jackson... he was a BEAST back in the day... No one could fuck with MJ. Until he started fucking kids... HA! Ok, that was never PROVEN... but the very fact that the accusation was brought forth on several occasions over a 15 year period...

Where was I? Oh, right, music. I fucking LOVE music. ALL music. This year alone, I have been to Comm fest (Folk music, Jazz), seen the Drowsy Lads ( Irish Jig), went to the 'Music is a weapon' tour with Disturbed and Lacuna Coil (Alternative Rock), saw Mushroomhead twice (Death Metal), and saw Matt Monta and the Hot Coal Band (Bob Dylan-esque blues). Loved every bit of it. I've got tickets now to see Throwdown in December.

Music is a mind eraser. Lots of people drink or smoke to forget their problems. I listen to music. Let the music grab you by the ass and take you where it wants to. My favorite music would have to be Thrash Metal. Lyrics are one thing... very few metal bands have words that you can even understand, let alone vibe to. One of my favorite songs in the world is by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers (You don't know how it feels), but it doesn't come close to inciting the emotion that Hatebreed does in me. Let me quote some of their lyrics, and you'll see...

Destroy Everything

Destroy everything! Destroy everything! Destroy everything!
Obliterate what makes us weak!
End this to embrace new life!
Even an empty threat deserves a response you won't soon forget!
I must destroy everything that tries to infect

A Call For Blood

Ten long fucking years
I waited to erase all the memories
And you can't fucking stop me
My vengeance is finally born
A call for blood for what you've done
No tolerance for what you've done

Defeatist

Defeatist, you and I will never be the same!
I've taken this vow of hatred, TAKE THE VOW
A promise to myself to never be my own defeatist
This is my hatred, this is my vow
Never to be broken

Cause you HATE yourself
And you HATE this world
And you HATE the fact
That you HATE every moment

Defeatist, you and I will never be the same!

Smash Your Enemies

Will I make through my time in living hell?
Do I possess the strength to smash my fears into the ground?
I've tried to be strong
I've tried to overcome but I don't think I possess the strength to carry on
I'm torn between, and there's no right choice
I've gotta fight back
I won't be scarred for life.

Now, imagine the most beatdownest, angriest, toughest, stomping ass guitar riffs playing behind these lyrics... and you'll know why I love this shit.

ROCK

The Angry Man

2 comments:

  1. Mmmmmmmmm Matt Monta. You should have mentioned the random opening act with that chick who just stood there and sang. You were all annoyed at her lack of enthusiasm and it made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that bass player was sweeeeeeet tho... He had his tongue out like Gene Simmons... it was DOPE.

    ReplyDelete