Monday, November 23, 2009

Offense - Law

This is about some shit that happened to a friend of mine last week that just frosts my buns. He was a passenger in a car, and was given an $80 seat belt ticket when the vehicle was pulled over.

I have a serious problem with that. He is an adult, and was riding out to a job site for work, and forgot to strap himself into the vehicle. The state has been given the right to monitor our private activities to the point of levying fines for behavior potentially unsafe to OURSELVES. What in the fuck is THAT about? Why hasn't there been an outcry of huge proportions over this? People are so god damned worried about losing their freedoms in the form of public health care, yet are perfectly willing to allow this utterly moronic injustice to pass.

Look, I don't have a problem with seat belts. I understand the function of them, and that they may save my life in car accident. I understand that it is important for my children's safety to have them fastened into the vehicle. I do not think it is fair that the government gains revenue by fining its citizens for not following these warnings. Cigarettes come with a warning label for pregnant women. Alcohol and beer have the same warning. Are pregnant women fined for drinking and smoking? Absolutely not. Its the woman's body, and her fetus to damage, so lets just let her go!

I think the same thing about helmets. I get hassled for not putting a helmet on my 8 year old when I was teaching him to ride a bike. He is LEARNING to ride it... meaning he is not going to go careening down a cliff face, jumping over fallen logs and attempting back flips. No, he is in fact going to plod along at barely walking speed with me right behind him in case he falls. An officer is obligated to ticket ME, were he to see MY child riding a bicycle without a helmet and pads. Law does not replace parenting, and I will make the decision concerning protective gear for my children, thank you very much. (Now go track down one of those crack smoking pregnant women, officer, and leave me the fuck alone!)

If I owned a motorcycle, I would wear a helmet. Dumping a motorcycle is much more common, and much more deadly, than wrecking a car. It makes sense to wear one while travelling at excessive speeds. But to make a law DEMANDING that I wear one? That's like making a law fining me for not wearing a condom. Sure, its a good idea, but they are just so danged uncomfortable that I usually don't wear it, unless someone asks me to. I guess the only difference is one protects against death, while the other protects against life.

Think about that next time you are bitching about Obama bowing to a foreign emperor. We've got a LOT bigger problems than him shaking hands in another language...

Give me a fucking break

The Angry Man

No comments:

Post a Comment